Monday, April 30, 2012

A Year in the Life of an Art Journal

For my post over at the A Year in the Life of an Art Journal I wanted to share a technique that I fell in love with - using Gesso with stencils!! In this tutorial I am using the Crafter's Workshop woodgrain template (which I adore) and Gesso, but you can use whatever template/stencil you have!

Lay your template onto your paper and then paint the Gesso on top of it using a brush. Don't be fussy because it's nice when you get thicker and thinner spots, it just adds to the look and texture.


















Once you have finished brushing on the Gesso gently peel the stencil from your page and wash it off (I just wash mine in the sink using warm water) and let your page dry.
















Now it's time to paint!! I diluted my brown paint with some water so it will let the Gesso'd design show through
















When you are done painting and your paint has dried now you can make whatever you want! This is my finished art journal page



















I can't wait to see what you do!! And before I forget here is my April 365 from my iphone, all filled in!

1 comment:

Joy said...

Okay you gotta stop. You are making me want to buy these stencils! I keep saying this.....it's looks awesome.
So perfect for your travel page. I love the postcard you added too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails